Friday, September 14, 2018

Leaving the Good Things

by Lilibeth Sabado

Fiji, 2013
It is almost a year now since I was asked to do a rotation assignment back home.  I had a difficulty leaving my previous assignment. I thought I still need to finish the work I have committed to do there. But I must admit, part of that difficulty was concerns related to reintegration to my own culture, one that I’ve been away from for 15 years. I was afraid and the easiest way out is to say no.   

However, when I offered myself to mission, I understood that obedience is also paramount to what I do. I hold on to the belief that God is in control and allowed myself to give in to the request.

This part of my journey reminds me of the story of the rich young man in the Holy Scriptures. He who approached Jesus and asked, “What good work must I do to receive eternal Life?” Jesus said, keep the commandments. Then the young man answered, I have kept all these commandments. What do I still lack?  Jesus replied, if you wish to be perfect, go, sell all that you possess, give the money to the poor, then come back and follow me. 

I was comforted with the thought that serving God will continue no matter where I am called to be. To be able to give a doubt-free response at that moment is grace itself. I left an unfinished task almost a year ago. I left the good things, I left the seeds. I may not be able to see the seeds bear fruit but I know I planted it there.

Just like the young man in the passage who left feeling sad hearing the answers of his master. I left my previous assignment with a heavy heart, but I said yes after all.


With Siblings, 2018

China, 2016

Fiji, 2013

With Columban Lay Missionaries, November 2017

No comments:

When in Pakistan

  By Monaliza Esteban, CLM I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be c...