Thursday, October 6, 2022

Amplifiers of God's Word and Love

 By Sherryl Lou Capili
Columban Lay Missionary in Taiwan

 

I have been with the Columban Lay Missionaries for 11 years. At present, I serve as pastoral coordinator for the English-speaking community at the Hope Workers’ Center (HWC). One of the things that I find fulfilling and enjoyable doing is facilitating seminars or workshops among the volunteers who are mostly Filipino migrant workers and immigrants married to Taiwanese. They serve in the various liturgical ministries during the English Mass on Sundays. As servers and ministers, we encourage them to realize how participating in ongoing faith formation is important not only to do better in their ministries but to continue to nourish their spirituality. I feel blessed and inspired to witness their growing faith and dedication while serving in the church and the community. 
 
Recently, we held the seminar for the lectors and commentators with around 25 participants. Such a seminar may sound boring for many so I planned to make it fun by giving them small group activities such as competing among other groups in arranging the Order of the Mass within a time limit and sharing and coming up with their own 10 Commandments as lectors and commentators. 
 
When asked: “What is it for them to serve in this ministry?” 
 
 Here’s what some of them shared… 
 
 “I prayed, ‘Lord please guide me, show me where I can be of service to you.’ Then, one day, I was asked if I can be a commentator, without hesitation I said yes.” – Joy 
 
 “This is an opportunity to serve the Lord. It teaches me to be courageous because in spite of being an introvert with stage fright, my purpose to voice out and proclaim The Word is bigger than all my fears.” – Charlotte 
 
“I am so grateful to God for giving me this chance in my lifetime even though I am not worthy. It is indeed a faith-filled experience. – Liza 
 
 “It is a big privilege to be part of the lectors and commentator’s ministry. It is a priceless experience to be able to overcome my nervousness standing in front of hundreds of people while sharing the Word of God with all my heart. All of these is possible because of God’s grace.” - Jayson 
 
 “One of the most important will of the Lord is to spread his word and his love by means of words and action. For me, the only way to do that is to be part of this ministry. At first I thought that it’s just about reading and then it’s done! However, in my experience, the moment that I am assigned to read on that specific Sunday, I have to examine my conscience. I have to discipline myself. The Lord has done many great things for me and serving in this minis-try is one of the ways I have in order to express my gratitude. I am very happy to get involved in the church community led by HWC. My daughter as well as the other immigrant’s children get to witness what we do and they are also following in our footsteps and are willing to serve in the church as well.” – Aini 
 
 “I want to serve in the lectors and commentators ministry so that I can use my gifts to give back to the Lord and to be a blessing to others.” –Tina
 
Members of Lectors and Commentators

No comments:

When in Pakistan

  By Monaliza Esteban, CLM I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be c...