Wednesday, October 26, 2022

My Vocation Story

The Language of My Heart

By Latai Muller 
Columban Lay Missionary from the Kingdom of Tonga

 

A vocation is not just something God calls us to do, but also the person God calls us to be. When Jesus summoned his first disciples beside the Sea of Galilee, it was not just to assist him in his ministry but also to alter their lives through his friendship and love. We have been invited to follow Christ, God's son, who became one of us to rescue us for eternal life. He sent his holy spirit for us to share in his divine life and express it by loving him and our neighbors.

I always had the idea of serving God as a missionary and helping those in need when I was younger. I learned to imitate their behaviours by seeing and listening to people when I was a youngster. The same also motivated and inspired me to watch television programs about the lives of those in the margins and to emulate my parents' deeds of kindness, since they frequently welcomed strangers into our homes, fed them, and provided them with a place to stay. My father used to remark, "We never know, maybe the stranger that we helped was Jesus," and as I got older, I realized how deeply ingrained this attitude of giving was in my family.

At the age of 18, I received God's calling in my life through a former Columban lay missionary, Losana Ve'ehala (May she rest in Peace). I was excited to join the Columban Missionary right away, but I was turned down because I was too young then. I was urged to finish my education first and gain work experience. At 23 years old, or after 5 years of waiting, I finished my studies and got myself a job. Even though I had already settled into my career and was already enjoying my life as an active youth in my parish, the idea and desire to be a lay missionary were still very strong.

Latai (2nd from left) with her team mates during the orientation program for Columban Lay Missionaries in Fiji

I'll never forget the day I returned to Losana's office. With a huge smile on my face, I said, "Here I am, Lord; I have come to do your will." It was supposed to be hilarious, but it ended with emotional tears. Her expression was priceless because she could not believe I would return after five years of waiting. In 2017, I joined the accompaniment program for Columban Lay Missionaries. Despite that feeling of wanting to give up several times, and the many ups and downs, I persevered.  Discovering that my faith speaks the language of the heart has enabled me to develop my faith and prayer life.

Reflecting back on those five years of waiting, I prayed for a sign, and God gave me the strength to persevere in my desire to be a lay missionary, to wait patiently, and have faith in his perfect timing. Overtime, everything made sense to me. He made me wait because he wanted me to get closer to him and continue his good work. He wanted to shape me into a person who is willing to serve rather than to be served. Ephesians 2:10  “ For we are God’s Handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good work, which God prepared in advance for us to do”.

No comments:

When in Pakistan

  By Monaliza Esteban, CLM I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be c...