Sunday, January 15, 2023

WHEN TWO DIFFERENT ROADS TREAD ON ONE MISSION

A Missionary Meets Miss Universe

By Gertrudes Samson 
Columban Lay Missionary in Britain

 

Christmas celebration starts early in the Philippines. As the “ber” months kick in, one can already see Christmas decorations in shopping malls and hear Christmas songs playing in the background.

In December 2017 while I was on home holiday, a generous Malate parishioner gave the Columbans several complimentary tickets  to Ballet Philippines “Nutcracker” at the Cultural Center of the Philippines. This was a wonderful surprise and I did not let it pass.

Upon arrival at the main lobby of the Cultural Center of the Philippines, I was delighted to see someone familiar - 1973 Miss Universe Margie Moran. At first, I was a bit shy to go near her but with a little prodding from my fellow lay missionaries, I was able to gather enough courage and I went to say hello. I introduced myself and refreshed a shared memory when we worked for a common cause many years ago. 

I met Miss Margie when I was still working as an architect for the Habitat for Humanity, an ecumenical Christian housing ministry. She was a member of the board of trustees then. We built simple yet affordable and decent houses for the poor and marginalized of the society.  The construction team, volunteers, the future home owners, donors and other partners work together in the actual build. I do remember Miss Margie visiting us at the construction sites and literally working with us at the construction. Whatever task she was given, she always did her best. I do recall a particular home partner proudly saying whenever someone visits her house, “Look at that wall, the joint finish is nicely done and neat. It was done by Miss Margie Moran!” 

It was really nice seeing Miss Margie again after so many years. She is one of those ladies that I admire not only for her beauty but also for her service to humanity. I also learned about her advocacy for peace in Mindanao. She was president of Ballet Philippines for a number of years and their thrust is to bring art through ballet to the communities, which granted us the privilege to watch Nutcracker. With me that night were some young members of the Subaanen indigenous community of Ozamiz who work with Columban Fr. Vinnie Busch.

The ballet show made me look back at the happy memories of my past and I suddenly realized that although I am not a Miss Universe,  I still feel blessed and thankful to God for leading me to become a Missionary. Well at least the first two syllables of MISSIONARY and MISS UNIVERSE sound similar! Being a missionary gives me the honor to continually serve God and humanity, and to be an advocate for justice, integrity of creation, and above all world peace, just like Ms. Margie's advocacy.  Like the contestants of Ms. Universe, we, Columbans, are of different nationalities and on mission in 17 different countries. Likewise, the asylum seekers and refugees I journeyed with in my ministries in Birmingham, England for the past seven years are of more than 100 nationalities from different parts of the world too.

I believe that our MISSION is  whatever role God gives us at a particular point of our life;  whether in the forefront or behind the scenes, big or small, brief or long. We must give it our best shot and with lots of love, for God gave his best shot for us when HE SENT JESUS, His only son, so we can get to know Him as THE GOD OF LOVE. “For God so loved the world that He gave us his one and only Son...” (John 3:16).

Thank you, dear God for the EVERLASTING LOVE and the GREATEST GIFT ever – JESUS, OUR PRINCE OF PEACE!

No comments:

When in Pakistan

  By Monaliza Esteban, CLM I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be c...