Thursday, May 4, 2023

Learning a New Language

 By Lilibeth Sabado, CLM

 

Today I caught myself smiling, realizing that after twenty years of mission in Asia, here I am again anew acting like a child learning to speak a new language.  

I was 34 years old when I learned Chinese Mandarin. After 20 years, I am learning Spanish. “What have I gotten myself into?” I asked but then I realized that 21 years ago I wanted to learn Spanish! 

In 2002, during our preparation for overseas mission, we were asked our preference for country of assignment. I remember saying Pakistan as my first choice then South America. When asked why Pakistan, my adventurous self replied with another question, “Isn’t it great to be caught in the middle of a conflict and be with the people?”  And “Why South America?” My curious and innocent self responded, “I believe beautiful ladies speak Spanish, as seen in beauty pageants.  It would be exciting to see beautiful ladies and speak their language especially so that the language program is in Bolivia.”

Two conflicting answers. The first one focused on mission and the second focused more on self. Recalling my answers then made me smile even more. We all live in conflict, most of the time coming within the very core of our being. But what amazes me more is that, the conflict within is transformed by God into something beautiful. Twenty one years! I waited and here I am learning Spanish in preparation for a new mission assignment. Grateful beyond words for the opportunity to learn another language.

To study a new language is like playing games with your language teacher, according to the late Columban Jim Mulroney. Here I am in Bolivia. I am in for the game!

Bolivia, February 2023: Lilibeth with her Spanish language teacher






 

No comments:

When in Pakistan

  By Monaliza Esteban, CLM I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be c...