Wednesday, September 27, 2023

When in Pakistan

 By Monaliza Esteban, CLM


I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be cautious all the time. People stared at me every time I ventured in public places. Whether I was in the market or in a restaurant or in an office, men predominantly fill these spaces, that I wondered, "Where are the women?"

It was difficult to understand at first but as time went by I started to gain  confidence and  I started interacting with the people around me, especially the men. Reflecting on my years in Pakistan now, I consider them to be a blessing filled with experiences that influenced my being. It was a bonus to have learnt new things about life and to have been challenged in my understanding of my womanhood. It’s always a joy and a challenge to be in a new society like Pakistan. Living with the women is one of the joyous things that mission has given me. But like the woman at the well, I have to have courage to go beyond the people’s culture with respect. It is a sweet challenge because it includes many dimensions in order not to hurt or go beyond the unexpected. 

Sometimes, when I contemplate about the wedding season here, I can’t help but wonder how young girls and boys navigate marriage at such a young age. It’s a culture reminiscent of my own back home. I recall similar stories of some of our elders on how they got married at such tender age. One of my grandmothers once told me of how young she was when our grandfather married her. Surprisingly, parents didn’t oppose it; instead, they allowed their daughter to be married at a young age.

Now that I find myself back in Pakistan during another wedding season, I’m reminded once again of the importance of embracing marriage as integral part of their life,  rooted in its culture.

Monaliza with a Parkari bride. This photo was taken
during her Tapna, the ritual week before the wedding. 

No comments:

When in Pakistan

  By Monaliza Esteban, CLM I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be c...