Monday, March 25, 2013

Goodbye

By Marivic H. Mercene
     CLM Staff Member

On March 24, 2013, the CLM hosted a despedida dinner for Columban Lay Missionary Shin Hyun Jeong Eu who, for personal reasons, was due to fly to Korea the next day.


At the dinner table, I asked her what her happiest moment was in the Philippines. And she told this  “When I arrived here, I saw many street children lying about anywhere and sometimes wondering aimlessly.  It was then that dreams about my childhood came at night. At first I just forced myself to forget them but these dreams kept coming back.  I had these dreams in Korea but I avoided facing them. It was easy to avoid these dreams back home in Korea because my busy life occupied my mind with many other thoughts.  But here in the Philippines, I could not avoid facing these dreams, these nightmares.   The quiet of the night, the sight of the many street children only made my dreams even more vivid.  I had no choice but to confront them.  It was difficult at first. Gradually I gained the courage to confront these dreams.  And it was then that I realized that the feeling of pity that I felt for the street children was the same feeling I had as a child. I slowly began to understand what these dreams meant and how it affected me.  Then came acceptance of what was and has been.  It was during this time that I felt free.  I was liberated.  I was happy.  I realized that my coming to the Philippines helped me see, face, and accept myself more.  I have grown to be a better person. ”     


To you Eu, we wish that the loving Father will give you the precious gift of health, peace and happiness.

No comments:

When in Pakistan

  By Monaliza Esteban, CLM I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be c...