Sunday, November 13, 2016

Be My Feet and Be My Hands

November 2016

by Gertrudes Samson
Columban Lay Missionary, Britain

My Two Poems

I wrote these two poems last year during a workshop training on poetry writing in one of my ministry with asylum seekers.  I thought of polishing it and sharing it here because making these was memorable to me for it led me to deeper reflection and recall important events in my life.  It also reminded to be thankful to God for the great privilege of serving Him in mission and the grace to say “Yes” to his invitation. Hopefully these poems gives people a glimpse of what I do in mission trying to be feet and hands of Jesus for others. 


“Be My Feet”

“My Feet" reminded me to be thankful for the gift of God to me of being able to walk again. When I was around 7 years old, when I woke up one morning, suddenly I could not walk.  My feet up to legs suddenly became painful whenever I tried to make some steps. Every day for several months, my father patiently carried me in his arms and took me to the doctor to have my injection of medicine.  My mother prayed a lot so hard and even made novenas to beg to God to make me walk again. God heard our prayer. He made me walk again.

Thank you God that you made me walk again and I was able to use it to reach out to others as you asked me and led me to mission following you.


 “Be My Hands”

Now that my second term as a Columban Lay Missionary in Britain is about to end this coming October 2016 , I suddenly remember one of God's messages to me in my final discernment retreat in Philippines prior to my coming here to UK in 2010. The retreat was several days and on that day, I decided to stay and pray in my room. Usually rooms in retreat house have plain cross or crucifix (cross with image of Jesus nailed on the cross). I found one in my room a crucifix which is fix on the wall.  But then, when I look at it closely, I am surprise to see a broken cross, the image of Jesus on my crucifix got no hands. Suddenly I remember the story about a church with a broken crucifix. So people who saw it asked the priest, "Father why is it that our crucifix does not have hands?" The priest answered, "because Jesus is asking us to be his hands in reaching out to others." And so in a symbolic way, on that day, I believe Jesus said to me, “Be my hands”.

Thank you God for inviting me in mission and the grace to allow you to use my hands in reaching out to others. 


Being Feet and Hands of Jesus in Mission

I must admit that being hands and feet of Jesus in mission is not always easy. Together with the bed of roses comes the thorns too. Together with the joy of mission comes also the tears. There are victories to celebrate but there are also challenges to overcome.  But looking at the life of Jesus he undergo the same thing, even Him was not spared.  He even suffered very much much worst, so I tell myself why should I complain.  But certainly you would feel that you are not alone, God is always with you giving you the strength to bear everything and helping you to overcome every trials that come your way. Definitely there is Joy in knowing that you are doing the will of God.

Being hands and feet of Jesus will take you to pilgrimages too where things are unpredictable with turns and bends like going to a labyrinth, the path just unfold in your eyes as you go through it, sometimes it also seems endless.  But I think no matter how long and challenging it would be if you trust in God and do not give up, and surrender things to Him even at times that it is not easy and we can't understand, definitely time will come that you will reach the centre destination where you will meet God at core of your being, enjoying His Peace that comes in trusting to His Unconditional Love and having deeper relationship with Him.

As Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid”. John 14:27


No comments:

When in Pakistan

  By Monaliza Esteban, CLM I vividly remember my arrival in Pakistan and how the environment felt so different to me. I sensed I had to be c...